Monday, November 12, 2012

Process pt. I: Sketch

Howdy all, this weeks post marks the first in a series on my process. First up, the sketch phase!

       This piece is currently being made for the society of Illustrators Student competition, so there was a pretty big emphasis on doing what we enjoy working on during the concept stage for this one, since it is essentially advertising the kind of work we are in the market to do.

       Since Fantasy and Sci-Fi is pretty much my jam, I came up with a bunch of thumbnail sketches in that vein.
Thumbnails straight from the sketchbook
Usually the first idea in a series of thumbnails is the throwaway sketch to get the ball rolling, but in this case I liked the concept and ended up coming back to it and reworking it (the bottom right set of sketches). The next step was to work it up to a full size sketch.
   
Rough Sketch ver. 1 
Next week: the revised sketch and the beginning of the greyscale.

No comments:

Post a Comment