Monday, December 10, 2012

Process Pt. IV: Now in Technicolor

Hello internet! Barring some final touchups the societty piece is just about done! So it is time to talk about color.

Before I start mucking about with color I always give the underpainting a once over to check for composition or continuity mistakes. In this case I noticed that the old background was creating some lighting problems, and was also directing the viewers eye away from the parts of the piece I wanted. To solve both problems I shifted the whole background to the left and knocked out a wall. Now the hanging lights and perspective on the roof lead us to the robot and the flower, and there is a nice light source to backlight the robo.

The updated underpainting
For the color, I simply chose a scheme, created a new layer set to Multiply, and roughed in the hues I wanted. Since the underpainting is pretty tight this stage can be pretty messy, so this only took around an hour of fiddling once I nailed down what colors I needed.

base color
To add some interest and warm up the robot's overall color I added some decals, originally I was thinking warning strips but they were a bit garish so instead he got whatever these are...

With markings


And a bonus shot just to show how loose the color really is under all this here are the color layers set to Normal.

fugly eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment